Wednesday, February 18, 2009

P.E.

It was 2:37 time for school to get out, so I headed for the "corner", the spot where I meet my smiling Caleb at the end of each school day. He comes running down the road to me, loud and out of breath, he shouts..."Hi Mom!" It's wonderful. Like every other day, the first thing I ask Caleb is "How was school" and he replies..."Fine."

Me: "What did you do at school today?"

Caleb: "We went to the library and had P.E."

Me: "P.E. now that is fun....What did you play?"

Caleb: "Speed Stacking"

WHAT? This is weird, I have never in my life heard of "speed stacking", is this some new sport I don't know about.

Me: What is speed stacking?

Caleb: Stacking like paper or plastic cups fast.

I laughed really loud & long then blurted out "That is the stupidest frackin' thing I have ever heard"

I'm not great at sensitivity. How ridiculous! What about crab soccer, dodgeball, sit-ups, walking the track, tag, jump rope, heck even badminton, at least you get to stand up... Apparently they sit and they stack cups (but REALLY REALLY FAST) Hahahahaha

People are so worried about funding for programs at school and there is always talk of having to cut programs like P.E., but really if this is the kind of stuff they are doing during P.E. (for one hour every two weeks)---I don't see the big deal. Maybe I shouldn't be so sarcastic---I mean this could be as big as bowling or 4 square. Maybe someday if Caleb works really really hard at his stacking...he could win a medal.


P.S. Incidentally, I also had P.E. today---I did the dishes and put the cups away.

To my friend Becky: forget about going to the gym tonight---stay home and work on your "speed stacking", then later you can do some "speed showering" followed by some "speed sleeping". Sounds like a work out to me.

Physical Education-----hahahaha---I am going to be laughing about this everytime I look in my cupboard at my neat stacks of cups.

2 comments:

The Carey's said...

What?! So funny. I actually know what speed stacking is, if you believe that. I can't believe they did it for PE though.

Eldrberry Grove said...

Ok it hasn't been THAT long since we were going to PE right?? Whatever happened to the good ol' sports of badminton and running your guts out?? Great story Sara! :)